US President Obama’s policy of engagement with Cuba faces a major obstacle in that Congress controls much of the regulations and restrictions pertaining to Cuba. As a workaround, Obama has embarked on steady, slow drum beat of actions taken to leverage executive authority to dismantle various Congressional rules that together make up the US embargo against Cuba.
The Cuba Journal collectively refers to these actions as Cubamacare. Here are the details:
- Washington Announces Further Loosening to Cuban Embargo
- CubamaCare Gets Another Injection
- US, Cuba Finalize Deal on Flights; US Airline Battle Begins
- Obama Administration Releases Details of Amendments to the Cuba Sanctions
- Details About Obama’s Most Recent Changes to Cuban Regulations (March 2016)