Cuba’s social and economic opening has an unexpected expression in a growing pro-LGBTI movement.
Mariela Castro, President Raul Castro’s daughter, last year led Cuba’s largest Pride event to commemorate the International Day against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia (IDAHAT). Ms Castro is the head of the Cuban National Center for Sex Education and is Cuba’s most vocal supporter of LGBT rights.
Cuba’s 2017 event is expected to be even bigger.
Carlson Maritime Travel has organized a small group tour of Havana during the country’s celebration of IDAHAT that will be celebrated from May 3 to May 19, 2017.
Highlights for the 5-day Havana tour program (May 14-18):
- Non-stop air Tampa-Havana-Tampa
- 4 Nights accommodations – TELEGRAFO Hotel
- Breakfast daily, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
- a visit to Ernest Hemingway’s home the Finca Vigia
- Famous art/community project- Cuban artist Jose Fuster
- Organic farm tour, lunch at El Divino
- National Fine Arts Museum – Cuban Collection with lecture on influential gay artists
- Fabrica De Arte Cuban Club – art, music, dancing for all
- Walking tour of Old Havana, a UNESCO World Heritage site
- IDAHAT events
- Parade and festivities
- Shopping at the San Jose market
- Many, many Mojitos…and so much more!
The two-week IDAHAT event includes symposiums, lectures, films, art exhibits and a theatrical festival, headlined by Cuban singer/celebrity, Haila Mompie. Touting the theme “Humanity is Diverse”, members from Cuba’s LGBT community and its supporters will be out in full force in a show of solidarity and celebration.
Carlson Maritime Travel is a licensed travel service provider as authorized by OFAC, U.S. Treasury Department to provide travel to, from and within Cuba for those who are licensed to engage in travel-related transactions involving Cuba either under a general or specific license. Carlson Maritime is also licensed directly with Havanatur/Celimar.