If your bucket list is filled with some of the world’s most exotic golf courses, this cultural tour of Cuba that includes a golf tournament and competition is your chance to achieve a milestone in the once-forbidden Caribbean island.
Carlson Maritime Travel, in concert with international golf professionals, has organized a special Cuba tour for golfers. Carlson’s tour handles every aspect of the trip including air, meals, transfers and guides, required visas and documentation.
Cuba’s profile in the golf world is gaining momentum. Varadero Golf Club hosted the 8th annual Cuba Golf Grand Tournament earlier this year, and attending this time was Greg Norman, previously ranked number one for 331 consecutive weeks.
Tour participants will experience history on and off the golf course. The seaside Xanadú Mansion, built in 1927 by Irenee DuPont, is today the course restaurant and golf club house. During the awards ceremony, participants will dine in the mansion’s period dining room. In Havana, the people-to-people tour includes the many of the must-see sights such as the Revolutionary Museum, the Fine Arts Museum, Jose Fuster gallery, the Grand Theatre and the best of Havana’s architectural splendor. Here’s how to book
Here’s a sample of the tour’s Day 2:
After breakfast our golf tournament begins at the Varadero Golf Club. This par 72, 18-hole, 6269 meter course was designed by Les Forbes, the Canadian architect who spent many years working with the renowned Robert Trent Jones. Both greens and fairways are irrigated. Eight holes have water hazards, and there are many sand traps along the fairways as well as near the greens. Some holes border the beach along the dunes giving the golfer a spectacular view of the sea. There are three putting greens, one pitching green, practice bunkers and two driving ranges. This splendid course has been the venue of European PGA tournaments.
Refreshments will be served during play. After play: RUM AND CIGAR TASTING on the terrace. Evening dinner at the excellent French restaurant with a wine cellar, and a pleasant terrace bar.
Other highlights include:
The tour is hosted by golf professional Dawn Mercer of Innisbrook Resort, Florida
- Round-trip airfare non-stop from Tampa (alternate departure cities available)
- 3- Nights at the all-inclusive ocean front Melia Las Americas
- Fully escorted from U.S. by travel agency
- All meals and alcoholic beverages at Melia Las Americas
- Golf tournament May 27th and 28th-two rounds including cart
- Service of professional golf coordinator, CubaXanadu Mansion Awards Dinner
- Transfers to Havana
- 3-Nights at the 5-star Parque Central hotel, Havana
- Most meals some of Havana’s top private restaurants (paladares)
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Walking tour-Old Havana
- National Museum of Fine Art
- Revolutionary Museum
- Jose Fusters Studio
- Gratuities to guides and drivers
- Tour of the Gran Nacional Teatro